No one likes to be swamped in a ton of paperwork, literally or figuratively! We spend so much time in our offices and at our desks, that we might as well make the most of it, right? It is completely understandable how such a busy area may fall victim to clutter and disorganization, but there’s no reason why your office should be reduced to a dark, drab and non-functioning space!
I am an organizing expert and creator of Organized in a Box, an all in home organization solution. I love creating, planning and maintaining organized spaces—everything from cluttered kitchen pantries, to bedroom closet overhauls, and everything in between. As a small business owner, I know the importance of a well organized work space. I must admit though, an office can be one of the most difficult areas to organize, if not first set up well and then maintained. A proper functioning space will not only bring you peace of mind, but also create a more effective environment to get tasks done. Although organizing takes commitment and time, it’s not impossible! Take it step-by-step and tackle your most important areas first. The hardest part is starting. So, whether you work from home, or share an office space with co-workers, these tips can help you start moving in the right direction.
- Fill your office with furniture and decor that you love. You are more apt to work in a space where you feel comfortable and inspired. Try not to clutter your office with too many items though, so you can move around smoothly and not get easily distracted.
- Get rid of what you aren’t using! It’s easy to pack desk drawers full of excess and unnecessary office supplies, so go through those drawers and only leave what you use on a daily basis. Then store the supplies you don’t use often in a closet for when you do need them. Lastly, donate the items of value you never use and trash the rest.
- Have systems in place that you use and update daily, like keeping a calendar (digital, and/or, hardcopy); creating, prioritizing and maintaining To-Do lists; filing; budgeting, scheduling meetings, emails, follow-up, etc.
- Scan it! All of those piles of old receipts, invoices and documents can be digitally scanned into your computer, so you can finally clear out those over crowded and messy drawers of old paperwork.
- Every item in and on your desk should have a designated purpose and be assigned accordingly. Keep your office supplies in divided containers for clear and easy access; have your files labeled appropriately and keep them filed alphabetically, by color, or importance, etc. Knowing where everything is and being able to locate it quickly, will save you lots of time and frustration!
I hope these tips have gotten you excited about getting your office in order. Starting a process like this can be intimidating and overwhelming, but it will definitely be helpful and rewarding. Now imagine yourself enjoying a clean, organized, functioning office, free of unnecessary clutter. A work space so pleasing and organized where you may never want to leave your office at all … just maybe!
Jess here– Rachel has been gracious enough to offer our audience a special giveaway to help all you babes launch into the new year year! Whether it's for your home or office, Organized in a Box will help you become more efficient by letting go of all the clutter (and let's be honest here, we could all use a little help with that? Right?!)
Image c/o OIAB
This box includes:
- The Playbook
- Poppin white accessory tray
- Poppin magical markers
- Poppin task pads
- Poppin zip folios
- Poppin white pen cup
- Poppin white bits + bobs tray
You can enter to win now through Thursday December 10 at 11:59 pm PT.
See below to enter– good luck!
For all of you on the hunt for the perfect present for mom, your best gal pal, or your favorite co-worker, Rachel has a special gift for you! Use promo code: socialstudioshop25 to get 25% off any Organized in a Box. This code is good through December 31, 2015 but order by December 17 and your OIB will arrive just in time for Christmas!